Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Amazing Justice, how sweet the sound

For many years, I have wanted some justice verses added to the tune of Amazing Grace.  This excerpt from "Amazing Sin, How Deep We're Bound," an article by Mark R. McMinn in the May 2004 Christianity Today hints at the idea that Amazing Grace declares only half the biblical gospel:

"In his journal, Newton even wrote that being the captain of a slave ship was optimal for 'promoting the Life of God in the Soul.'  Newton's slave trading might have continued for many more years except for a seizure that made a career change medically necessary.  In all, Newton spent 10 years trading slaves, most of them AFTER his conversion to Christianity."

The first verse might be revised:  "Amazing justice, how sweet the sound, to the ears of the wretched oppressed."

But last Sunday, I asked Pastor Donna Ihns who is both a poet and a musician to help.  Today, she handed the following verses:

Amazing grace, please lead me on to see where I am wrong.
And turn my steps, my heart, my voice to sing the justice song.

If justice is the goal I seek, I cannot keep self first;
So every action, thought and word must be my best, not worst.

To judge me as I others judge, the Lord has promised me.
Let justice like great waters roll` that all God's grace may see.



Would any of you like to write more justice verses to the tune of Amazing Grace?  If so, please send them to me.

The following are some of my semi-poetic thoughts on some justice content.

From The Message, Amos 5:24: "I want justice---oceans of it.  I want fairness---rivers of it."

Liberating justice, Jubilee justice, kingdom justice

Liberating Justice: The Missing Half of the Gospel

Repent of oppression, I did not do,
Because the gospel I heard was flawed.
No preaching on oppression and justice;
the spiritual was divorced from the social.
"Promoting the Life of God" while slaving
Is hypocrisy, heresy, to be exposed.

'I was blind' for far too long;
'Now I see' came far too late
For the thousands I carried cross the sea.
Remorse I felt, but restitution no.
Grace is great, but works came slow;
Justification by grace, but justice no.
No Spirit, no kingdom, no justice means
Untold misery for millions more.

Begin with grace, them move to justice;
Amazing grace, liberating justice must be combined
To liberate the bruised oppressed.
Oppression crushes, oppression humiliates;
It damages the image of God..
Spirit-anointed, liberating-justice
A good news package for the oppressed poor.
Through me, let justice flood the land
Washing away the garbage of oppression.

No comments:

Post a Comment