Thursday, October 20, 2016

Church Christianity or Kingdom of God Christianity

Pope Francis has called his church to leave the security/comfort of the sanctuary and enter into the suffering of the streets.  A profound  insight!  Do you spend more time, invest more money, in the sanctuary or the street---among the poor and oppressed?  The Scripture hints that you should be hitting the streets as a top priority.  The following scriptural passages are from The Message paraphrase:

Amos 5:20-24:  "I can't stand your religious meetings.  I'm fed up with your conferences and conventions.  I want nothing to do with your religion projects, your pretentious slogans and goals.  I'm sick of your fund-raising schemes. . . . Do you know what I want?  I want justice---oceans of it.  I want fairness---rivers of it.  That's what I want.  That's all I want."

Isaiah 58:  "They're busy, busy, busy at worship, and love studying all about me.  To all appearances they're a nation of right-living people--law-abiding, God-honoring. . . .   The bottom line on your 'fast days' is profit. You drive your employees much too hard. . . . The kind of fasting you do won't get your prayers off the ground. . . .  This the the kind of fast day I'm after:  to break the chains of injustice, get rid of exploitation in the workplace, free the oppressed, cancel debts."

Jesus, from the end of Matthew 7:  "Don't be impressed with charisma; look for character. . . .  Knowing the correct password---saying 'Master, Master,' for instance---isn't going to get you anywhere with me.  What is required is serious obedience---doing what my Father wills. . . .  But you are doers of injustice (Miranda). . . .  But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. . . . it collapsed like a house of cards."

Next read Matthew 23:  "Your lives are roadblocks to God's kingdom."

Are you practicing only churchianity or kingdom of God Jubilee justice among the oppressed poor?

No comments:

Post a Comment