Friday, May 24, 2019

Lowell Noble's Obituary


Hello dear family and friends of Lowell and Dixie Noble.  This is Janet Pickar, a good friend[daughter-figure]to them and caretaker to Lowell for the past fifteen months of his life.

Dixie and I thought it a good idea[suggested by a dear friend, thank you]to share Lowell's obituary with you avid readers of his blog and ask if you would like to share some words for Dixie to read, that would be great. I just know she would love to hear from you. :)

Lowell Lappin Noble passed away on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at home surrounded by his loving wife, Dixie, Paul & Janet Pickar and Karla Jensson.  His wife, Dixie, a retired nurse, cared for him in a most professional and loving way.  Lowell arranged for his body to be donated to Mayo for medical research.

He was born on August 28, 1926 on the Noble Centennial Farm west of Riceville, Iowa.  He was the fourth of seven siblings.  He was preceded in death by his parents, Merwin and Ruth Noble and by four brothers, Harlan, Weston, Russell and Dale.  He is survived by his wife, Dorine[Dixie]; one brother, Joe; and one sister, Jo Ann Noble.

Lowell taught sociology and anthropology at Cascade College in Oregon from 1960-1969 and at
Spring Arbor University in Michigan, 1970-1994.  He self-published three books,
Naked and Not Ashamed, Sociotiheology and From Oppression to Jubilee Justice.

At the time of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination, Lowell experienced a second conversion--a conversion to a biblical social justice whose primary mission is to release the oppressed.  For the next 50 years, he passionately studied and applied the extensive biblical teaching on oppression and justice.  This included living for 35 years in black communities in Jackson, MI and Jackson, MS.

During the past five years, Lowell posted over 500 blogs on the biblical, historical and sociological dimension of oppression and justice here on his blog.  His favorite Bible verse was Luke 4:18-19, which highlights four key concepts--the Spirit, the poor, the oppressed and Jubilee justice--key components of the kingdom of God.

For 30 years, Lowell has supported Christian Community Development in Haiti. He was DRIVEN to obtain justice for the poor and the oppressed.  One way he put his beliefs into practice was to assist Christian Community Development[CCD] in a rural area of Haiti.  Farmers and implement dealers in Iowa have greatly assisted with the farm program.

Other organizations and individuals have helped in establishing schools and churches.

Lowell's latest concern was the drilling of deep wells for six new communities.  Right now, they are being 'hand dug', therefore, they have a higher chance of running dry.

Lowell served on the Rural Haiti Development Board.  Therefore, he and Dixie have requested that, in lieu of flowers, memorials be given to RHD.  Checks can be made out to Rural Haiti Development and can be sent to:

RHD
c/o Janet Pickar, treasurer
PO Box 247
Riceville IA 50466

100 percent tax-deductible receipts will be given for your generous donations to help our dear loved ones in Haiti.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday, June 8, 2019 at 10:30am at the Riceville United Methodist Church.

We are sure when Lowell went with Jesus he was told,
"Well done, good and faithful servant."

4 comments:

  1. I loved and respected Lowell Noble. He taught me so much during my John Perkins Retreats in Jackson and his books and writings. When at CCDA conventions i would seek Lowell out... Here, one day he encouraged me to write a book, which is something i would never have thought of doing ... Five books later and a children's book in the mill, I thank our Lord for Lowell's godly influence, inspiration and mentorship. He will live in my heart forever. I pray for Dixie's and Family's wholeness, love, peace and joy. Welcome Home Lowell. We will see each other again soon.
    SHALOM MON AMI,
    nelson warner
    Lafayette, Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved and respected Lowell Noble. He taught me so much during my John Perkins Retreats in Jackson and his books and writings. When at CCDA conventions i would seek Lowell out... Here, one day he encouraged me to write a book, which is something i would never have thought of doing ... Five books later and a children's book in the mill, I thank our Lord for Lowell's godly influence, inspiration and mentorship. He will live in my heart forever. I pray for Dixie's and Family's wholeness, love, peace and joy. Welcome Home Lowell. We will see each other again soon.
    SHALOM MON AMI,
    nelson warner
    Lafayette, Louisiana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Dixie, I am so very,very sorry. It has had to have been heartbreaking for you. And yet, at the same time,your beloved husband has no more pain and is in the presence of our Lord. I know it has been over a year since Lowell's passing. I saw the Spring Arbor Journal tribute. It took me a while to remember where I saw this letter.Very recently I found it again. I thank you and Janet Pickar for the idea to do this page. The memorial being the drilling of wells is most likely one of the BEST memorial ideas I have ever seen! I want to contribute, but I want to be sure this is still going on.If not, where else can I help in Haiti? As far as my good memories of my
    Prof. Noble, oh my!!! You two welcomed me into your home and I lived there at one time. That is HUGE! Prof. Noble also secured me a place in Jackson, MI to do my social work internship. That is also HUGE!! He was my professor for MANY classes at SAU (then Spring Arbor College). Sociology became my major.I distinctly remember him teaching me about how to make a compost! Prof. Noble was such a gentle and kind man. His life was invested in so many people to the Nth degree. Again,I am sorry from the depths of my being. May you be experiencing God's peace and His love in an extremely powerful way. May you be held by the Lord. Dixie, I so want to TALK to you,on this side of heaven. Many years have passed since seeing you and I think of you often. That whitelynne15 e-mail is one I never use. Would you possibly CALL me at 586-625-9895? I excitedly anticipate your call.If there is no answer, please leave a voice mail. I love you. Lynne (Nall) White

    ReplyDelete
  4. This message goes to my dear friend Dixie whom I have not seen nor spoken to for probably 40 yrs. This is Ken Currie. I want to tell you Dixie that Lowell changed my life with his teachings on Social Justice. And you also helped me see the difference between "feeling" compassion and actually "being" a compassionate person. The two of you showed me a lifetime of love. I live in Los Angeles now and would love to here from you. Rest in Peace my good friend Lowell!!

    ReplyDelete